Cultural Diversity Travel Award – Alaska Chapter
The Alaska Chapter of the American Fisheries Society is pleased to announce the availability of a monetary award1 for an Alaska Native or other minority person to cover travel expenses to attend the 2018 Western Division AFS Annual Meeting, May 21-24, 2018 in Anchorage, Alaska.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
Be an Alaskan Native or under-represented minority (woman, black, Hispanic, or other ethnic/ demographic minority) in a field of fisheries science or a related discipline.
Be in an entry level position or student, defined as one or more of the following:
1) Fisheries Biologist I, Fish and Wildlife Technician II or III, or natural resource position equivalent in the State of Alaska employment system,
2) GS-7 or lower level position in the U.S. government employment system,
3) Have an entry-level fisheries or related science position in the private sector, and/or
4) Be a student in good standing in the field of fisheries or a related discipline.
Applicants will be evaluated on their work and/or educational experiences and interest in fisheries or related fields, interest in professional advancement, reason(s) for attending the conference, reference contact information, and financial need. Preference will be given to the best application package from individuals with the following qualifications (not required to apply):
1. Demonstrated commitment to the field of fisheries or related discipline, and/or clear intention to pursue a career in fisheries or related discipline;
2. Demonstrated need for monetary assistance to attend this conference;
3. Presenter at the conference; and
4. Demonstrated involvement in the American Fisheries Society.
Please note that the award may cover registration, housing, and transportation costs only, and that partial awards are sometimes available depending on funding.
The award recipient will be introduced at the conference. The recipient will also be expected to write a brief statement about their experience at the conference to be submitted for publication in the Summer issue of the AK Chapter newsletter, Oncorhynchus.
Submit a completed Application by March 16, 2018 to:
Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game
333 Raspberry Rd
Anchorage, AK 99518
1The Alaska Chapter of the American Fisheries Society reserves the right not to present any awards. The recipients of these awards are not eligible for any other Alaska Chapter of the American Fisheries Society travel award in the same year.